HOMECONTACTJOIN THE GATEWAYHELP










ACCOMMODATION
ADVENTURE
CULTURE
ECO-TOURISM
HERITAGE
HIKING ROUTES
RESORTS
TOURS
VREDEFORT DOME

Tourism Association

If you are interested in listing your business on the Potchefstroom Gateway, please e-mail Us

Heritage

Museums

Main Museum
(Gouws street)

The Library-museum complex was opened in 1982. The museum comprises three art halls, a cultural history hall, offices, a reference library and a shop. It is the biggest rural museum in the Transvaal and incorporates three house museums.

Totius House Museum
(cnr. Molen- en Esselen street)

The Totius Museum is a typical example of a town house built during the Edwardian period. When the Theological School of the Reformed Church had to be moved from Burgersdorp to Potchefstroom, a ground plan almost identical to the plan of the rector's home in Burgersdorp, was used in Potchefstroom. The house was completed in 1905 and was occupied by prof. Cachet until prof. D.J. du Toit ( totius) succeeded him ass principal af the Theological School in 1911.

Besides being a academic, Totius was also well-known Afrikaans Bible tranlator, poet and cultural leader. The entire content of the house originated from the Du Toit family. Admission to theis house museum is free and guided tours are offered.

President Pretorius Museum
(Van der Hoff avenue)

The President Pretorius Museum was the resident of Martinus Wessel Pretorius (1819 - 1901)., first president of the South African Republic and founder of Pretoria. He built this old Cape-style dwelling with its coach-house, stable and smithy in 1868.

The homestead with its tranquil farmyard recalls an urban Boer culture, which has long since dissappeared.

In 1973 the town council of Potchefstroom purchased the property. After restoration the complex was declared a national monument. Admission to this house museum is free and guided tours are offered.

Goetz / Fleischack Museum
(cnr. Gouws- en Potgieter street)

The Goetz / Fleischack Museum was one of the first townhouses erected around the New Market Square (Nieuwe Marktplein) ca. 1860. This house is a Karoo-style dwelling with shutters, ceiling and inner doors made of yellow-wood and peach-stone-floors in the pantry and kitchen. The walled-in complex includes a stable and a coach-shed. The dwelling originally belonged to A.M. Goetz, magistate during the First War of Independance (1880 -1881). After 1902 his daugther and her husband, A.R. Fleischack, founder of one of the oldest existing firms of attorneys in Potchefstroom, occupied the house. The house was declared a national monument in 1984 and was opened as a museum in 1985. Admission to this house museum is free and guided tours are offered.

Nasional Monuments

British Fort and Cementary (1880/81)
(R29 Klerksdorp)

Dutch Reformed Church (1859-1866)
(Church street)

The first congregation of the Dutch Reformed Church (Hervormende Kerk) was founded in 1842 and the firsst church was situated on the north-eastern corner of the church square. The second (present) church, the oldest existing church in the Transvaal, was consecrated in 1866.

Raw hide thongs were used to determine the measurements of the church. At the outset pews and lighting were non-existent and church-goers had to supply their own seats and lanterns. A corrugated iron roof replaced the original thatched roof in 1893. A wooden floor and ceiling were installed and a steeple was erected.

The building was strengthened in 1952 and a bronze statue of Rev. Dirk van der Hoff (first minister of the congregation) was erected at the main entrance. The sculptur was Coert Steynberg.

The building was declared a national monument in 1965. In 1912, 70 years after the foundiing of the first congregation, the original bell-tower was fitted with a bell manufactured in the Netherlands.

Ou Kruithuis (1883)
(Wolmarands Street)

Administration Building (1906)
(Agricultural College)

Selborn Hall (1909)
(Agricultural College)

Eikelaan (1910)
(Agricultural College to Dam, via Kock, Kruger, Tom and (Van Riebeeck Street)

MW Pretorius House and Buildings (1868)
(Van der Hoff avenue)

Dutch Reformed Church:
Teological School (1905)
Rectors residence (1905)
Preparatory School (1907)
Hostel building (1905)
(Molen street)

Officer's residence, British Cantonment (1902)
(Witrand Care- and Rehabilitation center)

Voortrekkerfort (1842)
(Elandsfontein Farm, Fochville district)

Main Building (1931)
PU for CHE

Heimat Hall (1927)
Pu for CHE

Totius House
(Kruger Street)

The Totius Museum is a typical example of a town house built during the Edwardian period. When the Theological School of the Reformed Church had to be moved from Burgersdorp to Potchefstroom, a ground plan almost identical to the plan of the rector's home in Burgersdorp, was used in Potchefstroom. The house was completed in 1905 and was occupied by prof. Cachet until prof. D.J. du Toit ( totius) succeeded him ass principal af the Theological School in 1911.

Besides being a academic, Totius was also well-known Afrikaans Bible tranlator, poet and cultural leader. The entire content of the house originated from the Du Toit family. Admission to theis house museum is free and guided tours are offered.

WD Pretorius House and Buildings (1853)
(cnr. Church and Jeugd street)

Landdrost- Post- en Telegraph Office(1896)
(Greyling street)

St Mary's Anglican Church (1891)
(Auto lane)

The corner-stone of the first St. Mary's Anglican Church Building was laid by M.W. Pretoriusin 1867. In 1891 the present church building was erected. The church has beautiful stained-glass windows. Part of the carpet used in Westminster Abbey during the coranation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953, was presented to the church because it is the oldest Anglican church building in the Transvaal. The carpet hangs as a mural in the church. In its centenary year in 1991, the church was declared a national monument.

Police Office (1937)
(Greyling Street)

Old Post Office Building (1910)
(Greyling Street)

Lombard Street 74 (1905)

Lombard Street 76 (1905)

Stadshuis (1909)
(Church Street)

Carnegie library (1914)
(Church Street)

 

Contact Potchefstroom Tourism Info & Development Centre
Tel: (018)293 1611

 



[ COUNCIL ] [ ACCOMMODATION ] [ BUSINESS ] [ EDUCATION ] [ EMERGENCIES ] [ ENTERTAINMENT ]
[ SERVICES ] [ SOCIAL ] [ SPORT & RECREATION ] [ TOURISM ] [ WELFARE ] [ WINE & DINE ]
[ ABOUT POTCHEFSTROOM ]

[ HOME ] [ HELP ] [ PUT YOUR BUSINESS ONLINE ] [ CONTACT ]
[ DISCLAIMER ]

Copyright © 2000, CRUSSE TRADE ENTERPRISES CC.
Webpage design: iNK DESIGNING CONCEPTS